It is not the fear towards light. It is the sensitivity towards the light or inability to tolerate the light.
Chronic cases can act as catalyst for vertigo, light headedness, and may lead to development of other symptoms which are usually associated with vestibular disorders.
Photophobia is not an eye disease, but a symptom of many conditions involving the eyes.
Homeopathic medicines can act brilliantly treat the cases of photophobia. There are no side effects of homeopathic medicines. They are prescribed on the basis of characteristic individuality of a patient.
Common conditions causing photophobia
- Bacterial or viral infection
- Brain injury
- Certain medications (methotrexate, ibuprofen, chloroquine)
- Trauma to the eyes
- Tumors in your pituitary gland
- Surgical procedure
- Tension headache
- Cluster headache
- Dental health issues
Common eye conditions causing photophobia
- Corneal abrasion
- Optic nerve related diseased condition
- Retinal detachment
- Dilated pupils
Common mental health condition likely to be causing photophobia
- Anxiety disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Panic disorder
Symptoms linked with photophobia include
- Aversion to light
- Regular light appears to be excessively bright and heavy
- Difficulty while performing routine tasks
(Reading / looking at objects)
- Squinting of one or both the eyes
- Pain in forehead
- Watery discharge from the eyes
- Sense of dryness about eyes
- Constant desire to shut the eyes
- Glonoine, natrum mur, euphrasia, belladonna, lac felinum, phosphorus, sulphur, etc. are well indicated homeopathic medicines for photophobia. But, only an appropriately selected medicine is prescribed to the concerned case after a detailed case taking, case analysis and evaluation, done by a skillful homeopath.